Thursday 20 October 2011

Technology Jitters


Even though I’ve come across the word “podcast” in everyday life through advertisements and conversations I have never stopped to ask what a podcast is and how one is created. Generally I tend to steer away from new technologies because I am afraid they will be too complicated to operate and leave me feeling incapable and frustrated. When I hear words like “podcast”, “smartboard”, or even “ipad” I think of the problems that could spring up and the time I could waste trying to solve them. Although I have always seen these types of technologies as useful I have labeled them as not my thing. As a future educator I realize that I will need to overcome my fear of new and growing technologies, as today’s students are growing up in an advanced technological society.
Now that I understand that podcasts are audio recordings that can be downloaded from the web I have started to think about how they can be used to teach children. For example students can easily use podcasts to listen to their favorite stories, get caught up on world news, and listen to interviews on interesting topics. Furthermore children can make their own podcasts! For example, students can interview each other on school issues such as bullying or act out a scene from a book. What I feel makes the creation of podcasts an exciting and unique experience for students is the ability to share them with the rest of the world via the web. Although it can be exciting to share ideas with the world and publish students’ creations one must be aware of students’ individual privacy and safety.
A willingness and understanding of podcasts as well as other new technologies however is often not enough to successfully incorporate them into a class. Unfortunately many schools may not have the resources and tools to make a podcast project happen. The good news is that today many families have new technologies in their homes. Therefore, one might make the creation of a podcast one of two or three choices a student can complete for a homework project. For example, after reading J. R. R. Tolkien’s the Hobbit a teacher could ask students to either make a diorama of their favorite scene or make a podcast of an interview with one of the main characters. Furthermore, if a teacher is dedicated to bringing a particular technology into the class they can take action by applying for grants or asking the school community for donations. I hope that when I start working in a school I will be able to overcome my fear of new and complicated technologies and embrace and use all the tools and resources available to me.
INTERESTING LINKS :
http://www.kid-cast.com/
http://www.technologybitsbytesnibbles.info/archives/1455 

1 comment:

  1. I hear you about technology jitters, but think you will be relieved to know that you don't have to go it alone! Asking for collaborative help from the teacher-librarian, and or IT people at your school can be a step to support your needs. Also - asking parents if anyone is tech-savvy and able to support your class with possible projects might be a great way to use expertise on your own doorstep.

    ReplyDelete